Home FAQ Bookings Do I need an international driving licence?

Do I need an international driving licence?

When renting in the UK

Non UK driving licence holders:
  • Must have held a full and valid driving licence for a minimum of 12 months. 
  • Licences issued overseas must be clearly identifiable as a driving licence, otherwise an international driving licence will be required. 
  • Some licences are only valid in the country of issue e.g. India, so an international driving licence is required.

In addition the following documentation must also be provided:
  • Passport
  • Additional ID showing home address (e.g. Utility bill)
  • Proof of entry/exit into/out of the UK (e-tickets acceptable).

For UK licence holders renting outside of the UK:
  • You must have held a full and valid driving UK licence for a minimum of 12 months prior to pick up of the vehicle which you will have to show it at counter. 

CUSTOMER NOTICE: If the UK leaves the European Union without a ratified Withdrawal Agreement then UK nationals will, in future, be required to carry new documentation when taking a UK registered vehicle abroad:

Read about requirements for all UK citizens driving abroad after Brexit.

Read about International Driving Permits for UK drivers after Brexit

You must inform us at least 48 hours before you are due to pick up your rental vehicle if you have been issued with a temporary licence by the authorities in your current country of residence.
So that we can advise you if you are able to drive under our insurance cover well in advance of your rental start date we need you to provide us with a copy of your Temporary Driving Licence, your original UK Driving Licence (if you haven't' surrendered it to your new country's authorities) plus your Passport. These documents will be reviewed together and will help us decide if our insurance will cover you.

Please refer to the specific countries Terms and Conditions.

Did you find this answer helpful?

Need help ?
Our support is awaiting to help you.

Contact Us